Saturday, March 1, 2008

Apology & Tasting note

Apology
A few days ago , I wrote in the Fat Guy forum some words against the over hype about wines from Burgundy. I wrote that even though I like the whites, The prices of both red and whites are way exagerated and that the too much writing about them prevents us from enjoying some excellent wines from other regions that are priced more reasonably such as Alsace and Germany. By mistake , I wrote that the main importers of german wines to Israel , Giaconda, doesn't bring the top wines from the producers they import. Another member in the forum, Gilad , and later Anat from Giaconda payed my attention to the fact that in the last catalogue, there are wines from the top sites of Donhoff, and from this year also from J.J.Prum and Egon Muller , 2 wine producers that considered by many (along with Donhoff, Muller Catoir and other) at the very top of the premier league of the german wineries.
I suggest any wine lover who likes german wines (or didn't try them yet) to go and grab them. The very few bottles I had, were enough to make me fell in love with them, and for the first time, even my wife shows some interest.

I think the success of Giaconda , waked up some guys at Shaked who started again importing some wines from Dr.Loosen, another well regarded german producer.
Last week I opened a bottle of Dr.Loosen, Wehlener Sonnenuhr , Riesling Auslese, Gold cap, 2005 . a straw coloured, It had a nice nose of sweet lime, peaches and minerals. In the mouth it was medium sweet with great balance between the sweetness and Acidity (one of the hellmarks of good german Riesling) , very fruity with long aftertaste. Score - 93-94 . Only a bit lack of complexity prevented it from acheiving higher score , but it worth the wait.

No comments: