Friday, June 27, 2008

Euro Semi-Final with Numanthia 2004

Yesterday I invited 2 friends to watch the second semi-final of the Euro between Spain and Russia. What should I open? I asked my friends and they answered together - a spanish wine.
I suggested Alion 2001 , but one of them already had it last week so I opened a bottle of Numanthia 2004 (scored 98 by Jay Miller from the WA , and not far from it by WS).
The wine was as usual very dark coloured. The nose had a very dominant sedar with blackfruits and some eucalyptus and menthol in the background. with time - some licorice emerged. In the mouth it was full bodied but not a blockbuster like some former vintages (2003) still quite tannic , with good (but not huge) mid palate persistence and quite long aftertaste. A very good wine for sure , and definately a very good value , but my score is more like 94-95 .
BTW ...
Spain defeated russia 3:0 , now what should I open for the final between Spain and Germany ?
A german riesling or a spanish wine ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ido,
you should spell cedar like this.