Sunday, February 10, 2008

Some wines during the weekend

This weekend unfortunately I got a mild flu. My little daughter managed to do what 1000 patients didn't , and delievered me her viruses, nothing truely severe but it was enough to impair my sense of smell. Even though, I didn't surrend, and with the help of Pseudo-Ephedrine (Sinufed) I tried some wines:

On Friday with my Friday's group I had the Domaine de la Mordoree - Lirac, Cuvee Reine de bois 2005. The nose was a bit closed (and so was my nose) with hints of blackberries , cassis and some spices, In the palate it was medium to full bodied, still tannic but with good mid-palate persistance and quite long aftertaste. for about 125NIS (32 US$) I think it's a very good value. Score 90-91. We also oppened a bottle of La Spinneta - Barbera , Vignetto Gallina 2004, that was dark coloured with a strong nose of espresso (even my dumb nose couldn't ignore it) and some black fruits in the back. Again medium to full bodied with good acidity , smoother tannins but less mid-palate persistance and shorter after taste. Overall a very nice wine , very modern style , I would score it about the same (But it's more ready today).

Today (Saturday), my family celebrated my nephew first Birthday. I brought 2 bottles. First was the Barkan Superiour 2003, that has a lovely nose of very ripe blackberries , cassis and tobacco (reminded me a bit the Altitude 720+ , 2003, from the same producer). In the mouth it was less impressive. medium bodied , smooth but with a bit thin mid palate and a nice but quite short aftertaste. Score 88-89 (92-93 for the nose, 86-87 for the mouth). Later Came the Golan heights, Yarden Cabarnet 2003, that was the opposite, quite closed nose , but fuller bodied, more tannic with more persistance and longer aftertaste. Score- again 88-89 (Lesser nose, better palate) . I must mention that I tasted the Yarden, Cabarnet about twice before and it was better. More fragarant nose, smoother and sweeter tannins . most probably my flu didn't help. I think I have 1 or 2 , more bottles, so I'll try one next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I significantly prefer the 720 over the Superior - both objectively and even more so when the price is factored in. The 720 is a very nice winter wine in my opinion, priced reasonably in the neighbourhood of Yarden cab and Carmel's Zarit.

Ido said...

I've had the 2003 vintage of the Altitude +720 twice , and liked it. I also thinks its better tnan the superiour. I bought a bottle of the 2005 Altitude +720 but didn't try it yet.
Does your comment refers to the 2003 or 2005 vintage ?