Friday, August 15, 2008

Georges Vernay tasting at Wine Route

Two weeks ago I had the fabulous Condrieu Coteaux du Vernon 2006 (former post) , so when I heard there's gonna be a tasting of their wines with the winemaker I couldn't say no (And the price was also quite fair) . I wrote a very descriptive tasting notes during the tasting and .... forgot them , so I was only left with my memories and Impressions.
The tasting started with the red wines (Vernay also makes Cote Rotie and a Vin de pays). I would be very surprised , unless I had the Coteaux du Vernon, maybe the richest and fullest bodied white wine I've had. Unlike the Coteaux du Vernon , the red wines of Vernay are in general very elegant , medium bodied reds , with lovely fruit, and not much wood felt (they have very low percentage of new wood). The generic Cote Rotie was very nice and their Cote Rotie Maison Rouge 2005 was really good with a nose of dark red and black fruits, with some pepper . Medium to full bodied, very elegant , smooth with good acidity, and nice aftertaste . (score 93-94) . It didn't had any hint of brett that I found in some Cote Roties before , which I dislike.
After a short Break, we moved to the whites, from Condrieau, that made this winery famous. Another Cuvee from 2006 was quite different from the Coteaux du Vernon, with less pronounced fruit and more minerality, It was also less rich and Viscous. The Condrieu Coteaux du Vernon 2006 was again fantastic , but a liitle less concentrated and rich than the bottle I had 2 weeks ago (Score 94-95 this time) and the 2004 version was quite similar but less intense. Overall a very nice tasting.
BTW ... The winemaker , the daughter of Georges Vernay, spoke french during the tasting , beside her sat a young guy who translated her words and add many other of himself. Later on I found out the this guy was Ya'ir Heido , a guy I heard so much about him for so long I thought he is at least 50 years old (He's less than 40). Besides the wines, It was very interesting to hear the winemaker and Heido talking about the area, the winemaking and their pilosophy.

No comments: