Thursday, August 7, 2008

Last weekend wines

As I wrote a few times before, not a long ago I almost had no white wines in my collection and my only experiences with whites were some Israeli Chard's from Castel & Golan Heights. But during the last year , that has changed. It started with some white Burgundies, mostly from Meursault, Chassagne Montrachet , some Corton Charlemagnes and even Montrachet. Then came the German Rieslings, from Donnhoff, Dr.Loosen, Emrich Shoenleber and more , a few Sauvignon Blanc's from New Zealand and last week a new revelation : Condrieu.
Last friday I've had one of the most interesting and impressive wines I've had lately. It was Georges Vernay , Condrieu Coteaux du Vernon 2006. In the nose it had a stunning aromas of sweet citrus fruits : sweetened oranges, red grapefruits , chinese oranges and more with some peaches and also flowers in the background , In the mouth it was maybe the fullest bodied white , I've ever had, mouth coating, rich with great acidity , some smokey notes and long finish. Stunning . Score - 96-97. We also had a bottle of Trapet, Chapelle Chambertin (Grand Cru) 2004, Ruby coloured, It had a nose of ripe red fruits, earthy notes and very mild bret in the background that didn't interfere much (I don't like it usually). In the mouth medium to full bodied, quite rich, with some chewy tannins , good acidity and medium-long finish. Very nice and not too expensive for a grand cru (I think something between 500-600NIS). Score - 92-93.
On Saturday night , I was invited for an evening with other wine lovers at Barcarola Restaurant. I didn't wrote any notes but 4 bottles were very nice - A bottle of Champagne imported by Eldad Levi (I think it was Larmandier, I'll find out later) that was balanced and tasty, a superb bottle of Chassagne Montrachet , Boudriotte 2002 from Gagnard (Score - 93-94) , Alion 2001- very elegant with dark red fruits, cedar, and earth, medium to full bodied, rich, wonderfully balanced with great aftertaste. Score - 94-95 , Fantastic value. Last was a bottle of Chateau Nairac 2001 (Brought by me). Golden coloured. Nose full of butter, honey , dominant butritis notes with tropical fruits - pinapples, passion fruits and more. In the mouth quite sweet and concentrated , but with good acidity to balance and nice aftertaste. A bit too young. Score - 93-94.

2 comments:

2GrandCru said...

Oh, I like Vernay! I had one of their 2004's last year.

A group of Israeli wine lovers who are Barcarole regulars. I wonder who they might be... *grin*

Ido said...

Hi Chaim,
There is a special tasting of Vernay with the winemaker on thursday. Are you coming?