Sunday, January 27, 2008

Donnhoff - Riesling Spatlese, Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg 2004

Few years ago, Wine route started to import the wines of Dr.Loosen. I liked them immediately, but unfortunately , due to tax laws , Wine route stopped bringing their wines besides the Dr.L entry wine (Only lately I've seen some new bottles of Dr loosen again). Into this vacuum entered Giaconda (Anat Sela & Refaella Ronen) who started to import some of the greatest names of Germany. Few month ago I tried to arrange a special tasting for my friends but it didn't work out so a few weeks ago I bought some bottles for my self.
Last saturday we decided to go to Idi in Ashdod , one of our favourite restaurants so I had a good chance to taste one of the bottles :
Donnhoff - Riesling Spatlese, Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg 2004 - In the nose it had a sweet citrus aromas combined with some buttery notes (pretty strange since Riesling are not supposed to meet much wood if any) and some tropical fruits. In the mouth it was very fruity with superb balance between sweetness and acidity and lovely refreshing finish. I had it with my wife and parents , none of them casual wine drinker. We all fell in love with it , and the wine had only one problem , there wasn't enough from it. Sometimes when you come back to something you liked , years later, you end up dissapointed. this time I wasn't dissappointed a bit. Score : 94-95

Something about the restaurant and the food :
Its popular now days to criticize Idi a bit, but I go there quite a lot (My parents live in Ashdod) and never ends up dissapointed, the food is usually very good (I prefer dishes with rich flavours than subtle ones) , but what makes it special is the superb service and the generousity - the plates are big and full (Its hard to go out hungry) and many times we get special bonuses "On the house". Their wine menu (unfortunately mostly Israeli) is relatively fairly priced , with nice selection and glasses more than acceptable. (You don't get lousy small glasses and need to beg for normal ones). For starters we had mixed plates of fresh salads and smoked fish, For main course I asked for grealed Lebrak (hope this is also the word in english) that was very juicy and tasty. Most of their appetizers are not at the same league, but the Creme Brulee was nice.

No comments: