Friday, January 18, 2008

Some spanish wines

Last week in a group tasting we've had a few spanish wines.
First was the Pesquera Reserva 2002. So far I've had a few spanish from this vintage and was dissapointed . most of them were too watery/diluted for me. This Pesquera wasn't much different. It was pretty medium bodied (compared to the full bodied versions I've had before) and lacked mid palate persistence but it had a very nice nose of red fruits and earthy notes and was very elegant in the mouth with good acidity and nice aftertaste. Score : 90
The next was Alion 2001, which was the best Alion I've had so far. Great sweet nose of red fruits especially cherries and plum , with spices was followed by medium to full body, richly textured , mouth filling with lots of glycerine and long sweet finish. very very nice. Score : 94
Last was Numanthia 1999. I've had my last bottle about 3 years ago and it was superb, and seemed ats its peak. This evening it was totally closed. even about 20-30 minutes in a decanter didn't open it. the nose had a liitle black fruits and licorice but was otherwise very closed and so was the palate. I didn't expect for that, and unfortunately this was my last bottle from this vintage. NR

Also tested was a very nice Viognier from Rhone that was very nice but reminded me Chardonay with its buttery nose that accompanied citrus and some tropical fruits. In the mouth it was also smooth and buttery with good balance between acidity and sweetness . nice . Score : 91-92
I'll try to find out again the name of the wine.

No comments: