Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wine Route's - The Big 10 tasting

After a 1 year break, Wine Route returned their traditional Big 10 tasting. This tasting is held each year (besides last year) and presents great wines (at least supposed so) from various wine areas. In former years there were some great wines such as Massetto 2001, Penfold's Grange 1998, Vigna d'Alceo 1999, Termanthia 2000, Guigal - La Turque 2001 and many more.
The tasting this year didn't dissapoint and was in my opinion very good.

The wines:
1. Billecart Salmon - Brut Rose NV- This Champagne house is well known for it's Rose Champagnes and this NV was very nice. It has a very fruity aroma of red fruits , mostly strawberries, with some yeasts in the background. In the mouth medium bodied , very fruity, nise acidity with very gentle bubles almost seamless. Score : 92-93
2. Bouchard Pere & Fils - Corton Charlemagne 2004 (Grand Cru) - Straw coloured. Oily flavours with citrus and even some petrol in the background (I thought only mature Rieslings has that). Later on came also some flowers. medium+ body, very gentle and balanced with good acidiy and nice aftertaste. score : 92-93
3. Cheval des Andes 2001 - A Collaboration between Cheval Blanc and Argentinian winery, this had medium Ruby Colour. In the nose - red fruits mainly rasperries and plums with some earthy notes. In the mouth it was medium bodied with a bit dry tannins , some green feel, and medium aftertaste. Nice and well made but not very impressive. Score - 90-91
4. Dominus 2002 - Dark ruby. Bursting aromas of red and black fruits and later some cigar box. Full bodied with smooth tannins, wonderfull balance and very enjoyable bitterness, the aftertaste was long and sweet. For me most probably the best American wine I've ever had. Score - 95
5. Clos Mogador 2004 - Very dark ruby. Intense nose of black fruits , spice and some lcorice. Full bodied , rich and chewable , with good acidity , some bitterness and long long aftertaste. Really great . Score - 96
6. Domaine Arlaud - Bonnes Mares 2004 - Anyone who knows me, Know that red burgundies aren't exactly my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed this one. bright ruby, sweet aromas of red fruits , mostly strawberries and some grass in the background. In th mouth - medium- bodied , very elegant, with nice acidity, good fruit and long aftertaste. Score - 94
7. Roger Sabon- Le Secrets de Sabon 2003 - One of the best CdP, and also one of the rarest ones (about 130 cases a year), this was very closed in the nose with only hints of some black fruits, some licorice and some olives. In the mouth is was very impressive. Full bodies, rich, chewy, with great balance, good acidity, some nice bitterness and superbly long aftertaste. Score : 96 (But can be even more when mature).
8. Ornellaia 2004 - black ruby colour. In the beginning nose of wet stones, minerals and black fruits (mostly cassis) that became more and more ripe and dominant with great purity. Full bodied, tannic, very rich, great balance and long long aftertaste. Simply gorgeous, and IMO Wine on the night . Score - 97
9. Chateau Margaux 1999- At the beginning the nose was mostly mineral with some red and black fruits, then I did something really stupid, by mistake I added some of the next wine to the Margaux. The blend wasn't very succesful (to say the least). Luckily , my neighbour Joshua , kindly let me taste his wine, that was very nice with medium to full bodied , smooth , fruity with medium aftertaste. very nice . Score : 93-94
10. Penfolds BIN 60A - Blended with the Margaux it wasn't very exciting , but alone it was very good. Dark purple colour. Bursting with very sweet flavours of blueberries and cassis , spices and licorice , that became better and better. Full bodied very rich, low acidity , quite long aftertaste, very nice , but not quite at the same level as the Grange 1998. Score : 95-96

The tasting was conducted by Hila that was very knowledgeable and did a very nice job.

Summary :
Wine of the night - Ornellaia 2004
Followers - Clos Mogador 2004, Secrets de Sabon 2003, Penfold'S BIN 60A 2004, Dominus 2002
Best Value - Clos Mogador 2004 (339NIS)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with you. This was their worst ever. It was a mere commercial tasting. Nothing less. I'm sure their cellar contains much better wines to offer for such a highly rated tasting. I was quite disappointed.

Ido said...

Sorry but I disagree. Besides the fact that I think almost all wines were very good , the Tasting is meant to bring good wines from different wine areas. If I had to choose the wines for the tasting , one bottle for each area, many of my choices would be the same. Ornellaia is surely the best super-tuscan choice possible now , The Secrtets de sabon is definately a wine I would choose my self (I already bought 2 bottles before and might buy another one), the Penfolds BIN 60A is very good (and expensive) Australian choice , and so is the Clos Mogador, Bouchard's Corton charlemagne and Dominus. No one will ever say no to a chance to drink Chateau Margaux (especially with my own blend with the BIN 60A) and I can go on. As I said the only wine I wouldn't put in, is the Cheval des Andes, but one bottle out of 10 is certainly acceptable.
If the budget was no object for me I guess I would buy at least 7 of the 10 bottles.(So far I have Ornellaia & secrets and intend to buy few bottles from the Clos Mogador , one more from the Secrets and maybe one Champagne).

Anonymous said...

Well, although I bought an ORNELLAIA myself, I wouldn't rate it as high as you did. I didn't like four of the ten and besides, they have lowered their standards relatively to past tastings - for instance, I think the cheese that was served was a disgrace.