Saturday, January 5, 2008

Friday noon's wine group - 4/1/2008

On 2001, I goined a group of wine lover who meet (almost) every friday noon, at the Tel-Aviv branch of Wine-Route , which is by far, the best wine shop in Israel , with the largest selection of premium wines.
Last friday , I've seen for the first time , a few cases of Domaine de la Mordoree, Chateauneuf du pape (Reine de Bois) from 2005 vintage. This wine is considered one of the top CdP , and receives high scores from both Parker and WS. The price seemed like a mistake, about 300NIS before member discount (less than 70US$) so we opened a bottle.
It was of course, pure infanticide. The wine is dark coloured , very close on the nose, (and we didn't let it breath enough either) , but the mouth is huge and very promising, full bodied with lots of fruit and herbs, great mouth persistance , some vibrant acidity and long aftertaste. Very impressive wine , that will merit a high score when mature, IMO at least 95-96. I grabbed immediately 4 bottles (and would take more if I haven't spend a fortune lately on wines).
Later on , when I found I have more time to spend , I opened a bottle of Les Cailloux , CdP (the regular one) 2004. I've had one half a year ago , in a big tasting and I didn't like it much. It was too funky and unbalanced. This time it was much better , with nice aromas of red fruits (strawberry, red cherries) , black pepper and herbs , and medium bodied with aftertaste that had a special combination of spicy feeling with sweetness and some acidity. Very nice wine and again at about 160 NIS (40$) a great value.

2 comments:

2GrandCru said...

Sadly,the Mordoree CdP is already sold out.

Reli said...

Hi, I don't know this wine you are talking about but I tried some wines of the Du Pape zone and visited the area. The interesting thing in that area is the stones they use in the vineyards. they are not so small and round, to get heat from the sun. The result is very nice. I have some wine from there from the year of 2001 and a later one. But I found it amazing,in general, in the French wines I have tasted in this trip I made, the difference between 2003 and the other years because of the high temperatures they had over there that year... :)I write a lot aout wines but unfortunatlly it is in Spanish :(