Sunday, January 6, 2008

Wines I buy regularly

I guess that most wine lovers have a list (smaller or bigger) of wines they buy on a regular basis, vintage after vintage, wines they know will satisfy them most of the time, wines they don't need to taste first or to read a critic tasting note (WA, WS and so on) before they buy it.
At least I have such a list of wines that so far , rarely dissapointed me , most of them are not terribly expensive and performs well in weaker years , while excelling at great years.
Here are some of the wines I buy almost each year :
Beaucastel - CdP , red - One of the first major Cdp that was available in Israel (since 1998 vintage). untill the last 2 vintages it was priced very attractively , but even now I keep buyng it. What makes Beaucastel is special in that it has many varietals (I think about 13) , and the percentage of each one changes every year according to the vintage , so no two vintage are a like. Favorite vintages - 1989, 1998 & 2001.
Numanthia - toro - I've had almost all vintages since the debut vintage of 1998. A very impressive wine, with huge body , usually a true blockbuster. very tasty. The variation between vintages is not very wide, and usually you know what you get. sometimes too heavy but overall a lot of wine for your money. Favourite vintages - 1999 & 2001
Pichon lalande - The 1982 was one the most amazing wines I've ever had but I also loved more recent vintages , including the 1999 , that didn't receive such a high scores. The high percentage of merlot makes it more hedonistic and seductive. Favourite vintages - 1982, 2000 & 2003.
Cos d'Estournel - like Pichon Lalande (and Palmer) this wine usually has high percentage of merlot. In recent years it made superb wines each year. Cos is one of those wineries that performs well not only in great vintages but also in avarage ones. Favourite vintages 1996, 2000 & 2001 (Haven't had the 2003 yet, I have 2 bottles from it)
Paolo Scavino - Bric del Fiasc - most Barolo lovers will put this one among their favorites , the fact that piedmont had a series of great vintages from 1996 to 2001 didn't hurt. Even though Scavino is considered a modernist, this wine can not be mistaken for anything but barolo, and a great one. The release price in Italy is about 50-60 euros that makes it an excellent value. Favorite vintage - 1997
D'arenberg - The dead arm shiraz - The first time I've had this wine was on the yearly "top 10 wines " tasting at Wine Route, It was the 1999 vintage , and I was quite impressed by it, compared to other australian wines. I've had prior to that. During the last few years my taste became more "old world oriented" but the Dead arm remained a reliable shiraz that always deliever the goods at a reasonable price. My favourite vintages so far - 1998 & 2001.
Yarden - Heights wine - I love sweet wines. Everyone who will go down to the cellar of the Wine route store can easily recognize my cell. Its the one full with sauternes. Israel wine industry is mostly red oriented, there are also some whites and very few deserts, but in my opinion (and it looks like the wine advocate agrees with me) this is the best Israeli wine. Its always very sweet, thick, fragrant (mostly dried apricots, and tropical fruits) and so yummy. At an avarage price of less than 20$ for 375cc bottle , I think its a great value. So far I've bought every vintage since its debut in 1998.
-
More reccomendations : (wines that impressed me on more than one vintage and are relatively fairly priced)
Rhone - Vieux Telegraph - CdP Le Crau, Pegau - Cuvee Reserve
Bordeaux - Malescot St-Exupery, Lagrange (St Julien) , Smith Haut lafitte (red). Guiraud
Alsace - Zind Humbrecht - Pinot Gris , Clos Windsbuhl (including the great VT)
Tuscany - Tua Rita - Giusto di Notri , Guado al Taso
Piedmont - Clerico - Barolo Ciabot mentin Ginestra , Aldo Conterno - Barolo Cicala
Australia - D'Arenberg - The Laughing magpie , Noon - Eclipse
Israel - Castel - Grand vin & Chardonnay "C".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi and congrats again on the new blog.

As a complete ignorant of the old world, I find your writing quite friendly and interesting.

How would you rate Vitkin's Late Harvest vs. the Heightwine?

I find the first somewhat more complex and the later perhaps more on the hedonistic side (although it's not an easy task to compare hedonism between deserts...)

Lior.

Ido said...

Thank's for your greetings.
I didn't drink the Vitkin yet. hope I'll have the chance to drink it (maybe on Wine route Israeli wines tasting at the end of the month in Ra'anana). Sounds interesting.